- Our Junior section was extremely active made up largely from pupils of St Dunstans’, Colfes’ and Eltham College.
- Regular discos were held at the old club which were very popular with Curlew members and ladies from the local Nurses’ home in Greenwich.
- Working parties on the old raft on a regular basis. Memories of clambering under the old rickety wooden raft covered in Thames mud, screwing lumps of wood together, tethering old ships masts with bits of chain and rope. This was usually undertaken on the coldest day of the year, followed by copious amounts of beer. Now that was indeed an experience.
- My claim to fame was arguing for the introduction of women to the Rowing club as full “Rowing” members. The proposal was rejected three times consecutively at the AGM’s – I won’t even mention the reasons why there were so many objections. Quite unbelievable. Anyway, we managed to get the motion through I believe in or around 76/77. Thank heavens for that !!!
- Other memorable events include Rum Punch, Rob Roy, the annual rugby match against Gravesend RC, rowing the eight to and from Putney where we camped at Midland Bank RC prior to the annual HOR, plus the absolutely exhausting mid-week fitness training in the Royal Naval College. The Naval fitness instructor incorporated the Canadian SAS regime that frankly would see most people off. He was definitely some sort of sadist but he did get us remarkably fit in those days.
We are hosting a Alumni day on the 12th August 2018 at our clubhouse, The event will be hosted by the current Curlew Committee alongside our special guest John Brunton who has been instrumental in getting us back in touch with some older Curlew friends from far and wide.
Further information will follow in the coming months…
Please get in touch with me (email@example.com) if you know of any past Curlew members who we may not be currently connected to, but may be interested in coming along to this event or supporting the club in other ways.